Rather than discarding dated furnishings, breathe new life into … through creative DIY makeovers. With some paint, stain or upholstery love, tired pieces regain their charm and become stylish home accents. With these simple techniques, you can turn tired hand-me-downs into treasures.
Painting Wood Furniture
A fresh coat of paint camouflages scratches and years of wear on wood furniture.
- Sand surfaces smooth, then wipe away dust.
- For a smooth finish, apply primer followed by 2-3 coats of paint, sanding lightly between each coat.
- For texture, try faux finishes like dry brushing, glazing or stenciling on top of paint.
Stain revitalizes natural wood grain without hiding flaws like dings.
- Sand wood well, then clean off residue before staining.
- Wipe on a coat of stain with the grain, then wipe off excess.
- Apply a protective topcoat of polyurethane or wax for a rich transformation.
Reupholstering is affordable upholstery DIY.
- Remove old fabric and padding, cleaning frames thoroughly.
- Staple or tack new fabric tautly in place.
- Re-stuff with fresh foam or fiber, securing edges.
New knobs, pulls or feet update looks without effort.
- Source vintage-style hardware at thrift shops or flea markets.
- Consider metallic finishes, unique shapes or mixed materials.
With some simple fixes, you can update old pieces to feel fresh again. Furniture makeovers save money while reducing landfill waste – and the results will make you smile.