Hong Kong’s iconic landmark Jumbo Floating Restaurant has capsized in the South China Sea, days after Hong Kongers bid farewell to the popular tourist attraction.
Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises, the parent company of Jumbo Kingdom, announced on Monday that the three-story-high restaurant faced “adverse conditions” on Saturday as it was passing the Xisha Islands, also known as the Paracel Islands.
The restaurant reportedly started tipping after water found its way inside the ship. Nobody was injured during the incident, but all attempts to salvage the vessel fell through.
“As the water depth at the scene is over 1,000 meters, [it makes it] extremely difficult to carry out salvage works,” Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises said in a statement.
“The company is now getting further details of the accident from the towing company,” it added.
Before being towed, Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises said it had hired marine engineers to give the restaurant a thorough inspection and install hoardings before its departure. The ship also received “relevant approvals” before leaving the harbor last week.
Several Hong Kongers pleaded for help to keep the iconic restaurant afloat. The effort came after outgoing Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said in a statement in late May that the local government had no intention of investing in Jumbo Floating Restaurant.
Locals bid farewell on June 14 as the popular tourist attraction was being towed away from Aberdeen Harbor.
“Jumbo Floating Restaurant era is over. The classic symbol of Hong Kong sailed away because this beautiful white elephant couldn’t survive through [the] COVID pandemic,” one Instagram user wrote.
Founded by the late Macau casino tycoon Stanley Ho Hung-sun in 1976, the restaurant became one of the most recognizable establishments in Aberdeen Harbor. The Jumbo Floating Restaurant has reportedly served over 30 million customers since its opening day, including Gong Li, Tom Cruise, Chow Yun-fat and Queen Elizabeth II.
The restaurant closed its doors at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and has stayed closed since then.
Featured Image via Andrew Milligan sumo (CC BY 2.0)
Support our Journalism with a Contribution
Many people might not know this, but despite our large and loyal following which we are immensely grateful for, NextShark is still a small bootstrapped startup that runs on no outside funding or loans.
Everything you see today is built on the backs of warriors who have sacrificed opportunities to help give Asians all over the world a bigger voice.
However, we still face many trials and tribulations in our industry, from figuring out the most sustainable business model for independent media companies to facing the current COVID-19 pandemic decimating advertising revenues across the board.
We hope you consider making a contribution so we can continue to provide you with quality content that informs, educates and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for everyone’s support. We love you all and can’t appreciate you guys enough.